Sunday, August 14, 2016

Using Older Supplies / Weird is a Side Effect of Awesome

Happy Sunday, friends!  Today I'm back with another layout in my Using Older Supplies series.  This is the third layout in my YouTube series where I try to use up some older supplies from my shelves.  This layout took a lot of twists and turns.  I started with the Fancy Pants Hopscotch collection from 2012. I have used it before, but it has been sitting there for quite a while.  I love the bright and fun colors, and this photo definitely has a bright and fun vibe...haha :D

I cut my title on my Cameo.  The cursive words are a font called Shoreline, and I used the Open Letter Alpha from The Cut Shoppe to make the rest.  I used papers from the collection to back the open spots...this is something I've done so many times, but it always works.  After trying out many different things and stressing out about what to do next, I finally decided to use the cursive words as masks.  I placed them on white cardstock where I wanted them and used various Shimmerz sprays over them.  When I removed the words, the white negative space was left.  I love how that looks!


Backing a cut file like this is a great way to use up your old papers or your scraps because you only need little bits and pieces.  And you can really narrow in on specific parts of each paper.  I enjoy this process, although it does take some time to do.  I added pop dots under the words to create dimension, and it just gives the page a whole different look.  I added some grey tangled thread under a few of the words for added color and texture.


I love the shadow the pop dots create!  It just makes everything sort of pop off the page.  I added a few flair buttons on the layout as well as a few stamps.


This flair button is so perfect for this crazy photo...haha!  My daughter is the queen of goofy faces as you can see :D  I added some blue thread under it for some contrast and a pop of color.  I also added a little bit of tissue paper under the photo.


So these hearts almost didn't happen.  They started out as a background.  I had some white cardstock with the left over scraps of some punched die cuts from the collection.  I adhered it to the cardstock and added gesso and lots of pretty watercolors.  That was originally going to be my background, but I just wasn't feeling it after I made it.  So I grabbed a heart punch and made all these pretty hearts out of that background.  Sometimes you just have to make something out of something you don't like :)  I machine stitched through all the hearts and added another fun flair.  You can see how I made the hearts in my process video down below.


I really love how this turned out.  This is REALLY easy to do if you have any spray mists or inks.  I used a pencil to create a little bit of shadowing and then added my journaling at an angle under it.  I also added a small strip of orange striped washi tape under the photo.


Here's one more close-up of the top area.  Aren't those blues and greens so pretty together?   I love this technique.  Just make sure you know exactly where you want it to be on the layout because once you spray it, it's there and you can't move it.


Here's my process video showing how all of this chaos came together!  I hope you enjoy and get some fun ideas from it!


Thanks so much for stopping by!  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment